Do you know someone who needs help? Let us provide you with resources specific to helping your friend or roommate, as well as resources for faculty wanting to help a student. Learn what well-being looks like and how to help others when you fear they are struggling.
Student referral guide for staff/faculty
- Use this helpful guide from Hokie Wellness to figure out when to refer a student, and what the best resource for that student might be.
Cook Counseling Center
- Help your friend or student schedule a Cook Connect session to find the best plan of action for them.
- Attend a workshop or training to learn how to spot signs of mental distress and provide support, or suggest an event for your friend or student to attend.
- Learn the do’s and don’ts when it comes to active listening and increase your knowledge before trying to help someone.
How to listen
- Learn the steps for listening, as well as strategies for listening and the different types of listening.